VINTAGE TORONTO: ENOCH TURNER SCHOOL HOUSE
ENOCH SCHOOL HOUSE
The schoolhouse, one of the oldest buildings in Toronto, represents the history of the evolution of education in the city. Built in 1848 by local brewer Enoch Turner, it was the first free school in Toronto. Turner wanted to provide free education to children in the neighbourhood whose families couldn’t afford tuition fees. Between 1859 and 1960, the building was used as a Sunday school and served as a military recruitment centre and home for service men. In the 1960s, the dilapidated schoolhouse was threatened with demolition. It was saved and restored by concerned citizens and architect Eric Arthur. The schoolhouse is now a National Historic site and a museum that contains records relating to its history.